If you remember from your history, the pilgrims, when they arrived in North America, had many hardships such as crop failure and the harsh weather. During this time, food had to be rationed. The pilgrims received a daily food ration of 5 kernels of corn. When you look at those tiny yellow kernels, there is no way that a person could survive on them. It was not the kernels that got the pilgrims through the hard times. It was their unwavering faith in God that saw them through. Instead of seeing the corn as meager rations, the pilgrims saw them as 5 blessings from God.
Each kernel stood for a part of their faith and each came to have a meaning.
- The first kernel reminds us that God loves us.
- The second kernel reminds us that God provides for all our needs.
- The third kernel reminds us of the friends God has given us — just as the American Indians were friends to the pilgrims.
- The fourth kernel reminds us of all the people God has given us who love us.
- And the fifth kernel reminds us that God hears our prayers and answers us.